Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Battletech Quickstrike to Be Stand Alone Rules

In my on again, off again fling with Battletech, I found that I enjoy the Quickstrike version for faster play.  Quickstrike appears in the rule book Strategic Operations as a way to get minis on the table real fast.  It summarizes many of the stats which makes for less record keeping.  It also focuses on tabletop play.  I wonder if there's some influence by Heavy Gear.  I heard him mention on a podcast that he was playing it a bit.  Also Dust Tactics.

For years, fans have asked that it have its own rule book.  The main reason, well two actually. One, the rules for it are spread out all over Strategic Operations making for a difficult time trying to play them correctly.  Second, many people don't want to buy a large hardbound rule book just to play with 10 pages to access these rules.

It seemed to many that this would be a nice way to introduce people to the game.  It's also nice to use because you can field larger armies.

Anyway, I was watching the Boardgamegeek channel on youtube when I ran across a Randall Bills' interview from PAX East. It's just 43 seconds in when he mentions it.




So, cool, they're getting their own set and calling it Alpha Strike.  I don't think I'm falling in love with Battletech yet again...but I will definitely buy these when they come out.

He talks a lot about Shadowrun. Of which I have no interest or knowledge.

3 comments:

  1. I've got the 25th anniversary set sitting in my closet. I like the Quickstrike rules, but it's a pain in the rear to get the rules out of Strategic Operations as they cover a number of pages. I'm glad to find out that Alpha Strike with take Quickstrike and finally put it in its own rulebook. Looks like I need to get my neurohelmet dusted off!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They come out with rules that are completely different than what we've seen in the past.

    ReplyDelete